The use of a variable voltage batteries is often the optimal choice to get the most customized and satisfying vaping experience.
This kind of devices gives users the ability to regulate the delivered power modifying the amount of vapor and thus the quantity of the other inhaled components. In theory, overcoming certain temperatures results in pyrolysis phenomena of some components of the e-liquids, primarly glycerol is transformed into toxic aldehydes. Pyrolysis is a process of decomposition of molecules into smaller fragments by heat.
The first study comparing the emissions of different atomizers at different power levels have been conducted by Gillman and colleagues. The results are summarized in the following table:
Table 1Aldehydes produced by device and power level on a per puff basis.
|Atomizer||Power Watts||Aerosol mass mg/puff||Formaldehyde µg/puff||Acetaldehyde µg/puff||Acrolein µg/puff|
|Protank 1 (KangerTech, Shenzhen, China) ||5.2||3.8||0.25||0.06||<0.02|
|Gladius (Innokin, Shenzhen, China)||5.6||1.5||0.07||0.04||<0.02|
|Nautilus (Aspire USA, Kent, WA)||7.3||2.3||0.13||0.05||<0.02|
- The amount of aerosol produced by different atomizers varies up to 17 times.
- It’s not possible to estimate the amount of produced aerosol only considering the resistance value.
- The amount of aldheyde (toxic and carcinogenic substances) released by different atomizers varies up to 750 times among them.
- The higher the yield of the atomizer, the lower is the formation of aldehydes.
- Most of the tested atomizers produces an amount of aldehydes that is much lower than those produced by a traditional cigarettes and it’s also lower than the American occupational and workplace limits.
- Only one “top coil” atomizer produces more toxic aldehydes than traditional cigarettes, when evaluated at the maximum wattage. However, it must be considered that this atomizer is usually used at a lower wattage, meaning that the level of released toxic compounds is also lower.
COMMENT OF THE SCIENTIFIC DIRECTORFor the first time, figures about what has always been “suspected” were published: underperforming atomizers at high wattage produce a large amount of toxic compounds. The most critical concern is related to “CE4 top coil – tank style” atomizer, a cheap product that was particularly common in past years. This device produces a higher amount of toxic aldehydes than those of a tobacco cigarette, especially when used at high wattage. It doesn’t mean that e-cig is a dangerous device and as a matter of fact the other atomizers produce an amount of toxic aldehydes that results to be 100 times lower than those of traditional cigarettes. However, these results suggest that proper rules of production and control on these devices are urgently needed.
Follow us on Facebook